Icon: Gabourey Sidibe
There are so many reason to love Gabourey Sidibe. She received an Oscar Nomination in her very first role in ‘Precious’ and continues to break down barriers and defeat stereotypes assigned to both her size and her colour.
Most recently she appeared at the Golden Globes and once again, with horrible inevitability, her appearance was judged and found wanting.
Whether straight out offensive ‘fat shaming’ or via the passive-aggressive medium of pretend concern for her health she once again dealt with a barrage of comments.
Rather than ignore though though she responded via Twitter as follows – and I think it deserves repeating :)
“To people making mean comments about my GG pics, I most definitely cried about it on that private jet on the way to my dream job last night #JK.”
So many bigger people are out in a world which can often seem hostile, trying to get through their day and do the best they can. Gabourey’s talents mean that she gets far more than her fair of negative comments and attention but by responding in such a positive way she’s making life easier for all of the rest of us.
Thank you, Gabourey!
- I pity trolls who hate me because I’m fat…
- Why do people end up shut into their homes…?
- Another side to weight loss..?
- Survey – help needed
- Katie Hopkins…
- When it comes from your Friends…
- Fat Shaming doesn’t work – Academic proof at last!
- Mobility with Dignity – MD350
- Announcement from Greater Manchester Police
- Why almost everything you’ve been told about unhealthy foods is wrong